Manage the day to day engineering relationship with customers and stakeholders working with key contacts within Train Operating Companies, Heavy Maintenance Suppliers and Train Manufacturing businesses including Professional Heads, Depot Managers (or equivalent) and Directors.
- To provide engineering technical support to the Rail Operations Group Commercial team.
- To manage the successful delivery of engineering solutions in order that Rail Operations Group and its partners deliver customer value whilst maximising profit.
- Develop new opportunities to exploit the unique business offering of Rail Operations Group and implement new arrangements as opportunity arises.
- Manage the day to day engineering relationship with customers and stakeholders working with key contacts within Train Operating Companies, Heavy Maintenance Suppliers and Train Manufacturing businesses including Professional Heads, Depot Managers (or equivalent) and Directors.
- To assist the Head of Commercial in the performance of their role.
- Customer relationships are always maintained at optimal levels.
- Integrate yourself within Rail Operations Group ensure that you and those around you:
Adopt and apply a high level of safety awareness.
Demonstrate a high level of professionalism and customer service at all times.
Adopt a Team ethos of ownership, achievement and responsibility.
- The risks within your area of responsibility are identified and controlled to a point which is as low as reasonably practicable.
Role and Responsibilities
- Working closely with the supply chain and industry experts, develop a deep understanding of the future requirements of the manufacturers, leasing companies and operators of new rolling stock from a technical engineering aspect
- Ensure all engineering, certification, approvals and technical aspects are considered at an early stage of an enquiry or request from a customer to operate train services
- Provide indicative costs for engineering activities for inclusion in the pricing model at an early stage
- Ensure time and costs for site visits, vehicle inspections, review of maintenance systems, facilities and processes etc. are included in commercial bids for work packages as relevant
- Review and action the status of vehicles within R2, RSL, National Vehicle Register and TOPS that form part of commercial requests to operate services. Manage the process of obtaining the necessary certification as required with assistance from Fleet Technical Engineer and others as relevant
- Provide information around risk and pitfalls of individual traffic flows, ensuring a “no surprises” culture and consideration of all aspects of the engineering involved with individual traffic flows
- Use industry best practice and underpinning knowledge of testing and commissioning activities, CSM-RA and approvals (NoBo, DeBo, AsBo) to support new trains introduction programmes
- Carry out vehicle inspections, site and depot visits, attend customer meetings, develop relationship with engineers within external organizations to ensure communication and information exchange is timely and of the highest caliber
- Develop an in-depth understanding of customer needs within the UK market place.
- Prepare budget forecasts, Board papers and reports as required.
- Provide detailed revenue forecasts and projected cost analysis as required.
- Improve the delivery of Rail Operations Group customer service offering through continuous improvement initiatives.
- Ensure and encourage excellent communication with other teams and departments within Rail Operations Group to ensure a consistent and comprehensive approach is applied across the company.
- Initiate and progress through to closure contracts, contract amendments, variation orders, heads of terms agreements, etc. in conjunction with other internal functions.
- Support the Head of Commercial as required.
Qualifications and Education Requirements
- Minimum HNC/HND qualification in a relevant engineering discipline.
- Demonstrable high standard of literacy and numeracy skills at a level commensurate with the requirement to create and deliver reports and papers to senior managers and directors